Phones & Haircuts

It seems like our modern society is obsessed with upgrades and we as consumers are constantly being encouraged to believe that whatever we currently own is not good enough and that we should upgrade to something newer that is inherently better than what we currently have. No where is this more apparent than in the mobile phone industry. Every year, Samsung and Apple debut new phone models to keep market saturation from becoming a thing and forcing their sales to go down. Apple's current model, the iPhone 7s & 7s Plus is competing with the Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7-Edge.

This week I upgraded to a new mobile phone; a iPhone 6s Plus with 128GB of memory. My previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy Note II, had been damaged by overheating after I left it on to charge and stuck in under my pillow during the night. For the past 2-3 weeks it would turn off randomly and was no longer reliable. The only way to have it turn on again was to remove the back of the phone and remove the battery. I had purchased it in 2013, 1 year after it had come out and shortly after it had been replaced by its successor, the Note 3. There was nothing else wrong with the phone because it had spent its entire life inside a protective case. I certainly planned on keeping much longer. I guess 4 years was long enough. My new phone, the 6s Plus, debuted shortly after we moved to Bullhead City in 2015, so the technology is not current, but current enough for me. I don't believe in getting the newest technology immediately after it debuts. Since I just activated it last night, I don't have an opinion on the phone just yet, but so far, so good.

My other topic this week is haircuts. Throughout my life I have been very lazy when it comes to my hairstyle and never paid much attention or put much effort into styling my hair. I would prefer a low-maintenace "butch" hair cut, but Mrs. Pitt literally frowns upon that, insisting that I keep my hair at a reasonable length. The problem is my hair is so thick that it's hard to style when it's long and I have struggled finding barbers and hair salons that do an adequate job of cutting it in a stylish way. Since I moved to southern Arizona, I've experimented with Great Clips (hated them), Mexican barber in Nogales (Okay, but far away now), and today I went to the hair salon in Walmart, which was actually kind of nice. My father, Poppa Pitt, used to get his hair cut at the J.C. Penny in Flagstaff, so I guess the hair salon at Walmart is not that far off. Today's cut was good. We'll see if I keep going there.

All for today...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lenten Fast Post #3

The COVID Chronicles #39: Hail Storm!

The COVID Chronicles #30: Mother's Day