I Can See Fall Around the Corner

Growing up in the high-country city of Flagstaff, Arizona fall came quickly. When you are living at 7,000 feet above sea level, the nights cool down quicker, the sun seems to set much earlier, and it's easy to feel that fall holidays like hunting season, Halloween, and Thanksgiving will soon be upon you. As an adult living in Flagstaff, I remember one particular weekend where I went to an NAU football game on a Saturday where it still felt like summer and the next day, which was the first day of fall, felt 10 degrees cooler and much more blustery. It was almost as if a switch had been flipped and Mother Nature declared that summer was over. by mid to late September, Flagstaff had already received its first overnight frost which results in the death of the summer flowers and vegetables my dad would plan in his garden. 

By the first week of October, Flagstaff often receives its first taste of winter with a small overnight dusting of snow blown in by the wind and by the middle of October, many residents are burning wood in our wood stoves every night to heat the house. Halloween night was often at freezing temperatures and I have fond memories of walking around our neighborhood with my friends trick or treating with a Jason mask on and feeling my breath condense inside the mask. 

Here in southeastern Arizona, the change is much more gradual and must less marked. Even after living here for 8 years, my sensory memories for the change in seasons continue to be confused by lack of cold days or brisk early mornings. Because of this, I must take my seasonal change cues that it is fall by the events happening around me. This past week was the first week of classes for the community college I work at and even though the summer monsoons persist or at times seem stronger than earlier in the summer, the start of a new school term reminds me that fall is here. The first year of living here, Wife and I decorated our house the day after thanksgiving and were amazed by the 75 degree temps outside. 

Because of this lack sensory reminders that fall is here, certain American fall traditions seem to sneak up and surprise me. Things like, the start of the college & NFL footballs seasons and Halloween. My brain still associates the purchase and carving of pumpkins with a temp more akin to needing a sweater or light sweatshirt than still being able to wear shorts and sandals. 

As I move toward fall this year, I'm thankful to have Wife back after nearly 3 years of living apart due to her late parents' illnesses. It gives me motivation to decorate for the holidays and to keep the yard up. I have winter plans for the backyard and other home improvement projects which I'm sure I will share on this blog. Until then, enjoy your last week of August and I hope your Fall of 2024 is memorable and happy. 

All for today. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lenten Fast Post #3

The COVID Chronicles #26: Quarantine (Is Not Quite Over)

The COVID Chronicles #39: Hail Storm!