There's Light at the end of the Tunnel!

It's Saturday, but I have to work today. During the last week of each registration period, we work extended hours, Mon-Thurs 8am-6pm, regular hours on Fridays, and a 4 hour shift on Saturday; 9am-1pm. We will still be working until 6pm on Monday & Tuesday to assist with any final late registration requests.

It's become a tradition for people in my office to bring donuts or bagels or something else on the Saturday before the start of term. I will probably leave a bit early, stop by the local Safeway, and pick up a contribution...maybe donut holes. I've always like donut holes, but I don't eat them any more.

It seems like no matter how well I take care of myself during the registration period, by the Friday & Saturday at the end, I'm always on my last nerve. It causes me to feel a level of frustration & animosity toward the final stragglers & procrastinators coming in to register for spring classes.  A former co-worker taught me a motto when I started that I keep in mind and pass along to other new co-workers, "Your procrastination is not my emergency", which for me means that I'm not going to bend over backwards & circumvent established policies & procedures because you waited until the last minute (we've been open for registration since 11/1/18 btw...)

I didn't really understand what that meant until this year and repeating that mantra in my mind has helped keep me calm when assisting students & their parents this week when I just wanted to lose it. Some of the students who have come in this week have come in b/c of canceled classes (not their fault) & some have come in b/c of special, accelerated programs only recently announced.

We'll see how today goes....

8:30pm Update:

The 4-hour shift went off without much of a hitch. After the working day was over, I went to lunch with a co-worker to a Mexican food restaurant in Douglas. I had fajitas with chicken, beef, & shrimp. I ordered the same to go for Wife, who really enjoyed it.

I'm restless right now and I don't know why....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lenten Fast Post #3

The COVID Chronicles #39: Hail Storm!

The COVID Chronicles #30: Mother's Day