The COVID Chronicles #71: Tool Time and Fool Time

 I feel like a got a little bit of a sunburn, but a windburn is more like it. It as a windy day here in SE Arizona and I think our faces bore the brunt of the wind. 

Today Wife and I worked outside and continued our efforts to build her Hinamatsuri, "Girl's Festival" display shelf where she can display her dolls. 

Today's progress was done in two parts with a one hour break in-between. 

The first part of cutting out and sanding the other piece of plywood of what will become the other side of the shelf. This I did with moderate success, but when the two sides were paired against each other, it quickly became clear that one side is going to be slightly higher than the other side and this is due to fact that, 1. I got confused which side would the top, and 2. I only traced the lines to cut the board from the one we cut on Monday afternoon so when I went to cut, I cut on the outside of the line, not the inside. I would like to add that there were times when I had them matched up and wife moved the top tracing board so there were discrepancies even prior to cutting...

We also cut 4 support braces from 2, 8' 1x2's then drilled a hole on each end in which to screw some kind of nut with a 6mm Allen wrench to hold the bolts into the wood. 

Following the directions for the bolts (not the nuts), I initially drilled a hole using a 1/4" drill bit, but that hole proved to be too small, so Wife took a look at the direction for the nut (which I had read too btw) and stated we needed an 11/32 drill bit, which I do not possess. This meant I needed to make a trip to a local hardware store. Before leaving for the hardware store, I needed to use the calculator app on my phone (because I'm not good with fractions) to check to see if 11/32's was bigger than 1/4, which of course it was. So now I have a loose 11/32's drill bit hanging around loose in one of toolboxes. We still need to cut the shelves, which will be done tomorrow, and then the whole thing will be taken apart and reassembled upstairs where Wife will display her Girls Festival dolls.  


On the meal preparation front, I decided I wanted to prepare Baked Buffalo Chicken Legs for dinner tonight and in the process of doing so, I learned something and that is 425 degrees Fahrenheit is the recommended maximum cooking temperature for glass Pyrex pans. 

I am sharing this tidbit of information with you all because I lost another glass Pyrex pan tonight due to cracking and shattering. No, it was not the new 9x13 pan I ordered to replace the one I broke last week by pouring cold water into it (at 450), but it was an 11x7 pan in which I was cooking some of the drumsticks at 450. With 2 minutes left in the cooking process, Wife and I heard a noise from the oven. I opened the door of the oven to find the glass pan in pieces. I turned off the oven and left the door open so it would cool off as much as possible. I guess it's time to check Amazon again for a replacement.

When I showed Wife what happened, she commented, "there must be a devil in the oven!

And when she she asked me what the recommend maximum temperature is for Pyrex pans, my response of, "I've cooked at this temperature before!" was apparently not sufficient because she rephrased her question by saying, "I didn't ask you about your experience. I asked you about the maximum temperature for glass pan." Thank you Google for educating me!

All for today


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lenten Fast Post #3

The COVID Chronicles #39: Hail Storm!

The COVID Chronicles #30: Mother's Day